The second largest island after Crete, in Greek archipelagos and the third after Cyprus in the eastern Mediterranean. It is separated from the mainland of Greece with the Evian Gulf.

  Source:Goevia.com

 

 

      

Monasteries and country-churches

 

The monuments of Greek Orthodoxy  is an important  part of the national heritage and a valuable attraction of tourism.  Byzantine and post-Byzantine-time   churches, the magnificent cathedrals, churches and  the monasteries with their important iconography, mosaics, wall paintings and icons indicate the consideration to  the traditions. 

The Skyros, as all   the islands of the Aegean Sea, is  full of country churches which  the most of them owe their built  to a vow or they were built  at times by  the rulers of the island. 

 

The Monastery of Saint George

On  the  castle of Skyros overlook there  the monastery and the church of St. George. The temple was built in 960 A.D.,   with financial support by the Byzantine emperors Nikiforos Fokas and Ioannis Tsimiskis. The  Monastery of St. George in Skyros, was established possibly  in the 13th century between 1016 AD and 1447 AD. It belonged   to   Constantinople Patriarchate and it was an independent monastery.  In 1447 AD, perhaps a little later, the independent monastery of St. George, was joined, as Metoxi,   in the monastery of Great Lavra of Mount Athos. The present complex   building  of the monastery is come from the years of Venetian and Othoman governors. During  the 19th and 20th centuries made renewing works as too indoor arrangements. One could estimate that the time of the establishment of that church is between the period  1599 A.D – 1602 A.D.  

Until  2001  the monastery was in full operation. At the earthquake of 2001, the monastery had been damages and for this reason it  remained closed to the public. 

Recently the works of  constructions were completed  and so it is open to the public again.   

From the balcony of the west wing of the monastery, you can enjoy the stunning views of the town. 

 

Saint Dimitrios in Ferekampos  place  with rare beautiful icons of the Second Advent

 

Skyrosalso has about 300 country churches, many of them  are Byzantine or post-Byzantine time  with interesting stonework’s  and rich holy paintings.

 Every country church has its own place and its own beauty and also  characteristic names such us: Archontopanagia, Panagia Lemonitria, Panagia t' Thodori,  Panagia Tsyrapsomou, Panagia ton voskon, Panagia  D' chounia,  Christ t' Arkoudi. 

Are Characteristic the cave-cavernous churches also,  white  ate located in remote and difficult walking places.