AKROGIALI, is situated on the spectacular beach of Amarinthos, in South Evia, a friendly and peaceful environment, full of greenery, right for your summer holiday.Our holding is built next to the beach, facilitating in this way, each and every one of your activities. From each of our apartments balcony, you can enjoy the blue of Evian gulf as well as its captivating sunset.With irreproachable service and wary-hearted hospitality we keep on trying so as to win your confidence of a pleasant stay.Both in the surroundings and along the coast, there is a variety of fish-taverns, restaurants, cafes and bars.
Please visit the rest of the pages, so as to obtain information and look at photos. We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you.
AKROGIALI, is one of the cheapest apartments to rent in the area, where all essential comforts are offered.
Facilities include, a parking lot, fifteen (15) fully furnished twin and three -bedded rooms, with air-conditioning, TV-set, Fridge, Wifi-Internet, all overlooking the Evian gulf. We also have a fully equipped common kitchen. We also offer free coffee. Our family -friendly garden, couldn't be less than the indispensable part of our complex, where you can sit and relax, enjoying the sandy beach and the blue of the sea, feeling carefree and worriless.
Jewish Community of Chalkis
Chalkis is the capital ofthe island of Evoia, one of "The large islands" (Evoia, Cyprus, Crete) according to Prophet Joshuah and (one of the most distinguished), according to Philon of Alexandria. The Romaniote Jewish Community of Chalkis may not be the oldest one in Greece, but it is the only one in Europe that has been living in the same city for 2,500 years without interruption. It is active in the city's life and has therefore naturally written a history of its own.
It is said that the name of the city derives from the Semitic root "chalek", which means "to split up". It also means gravel or piece of land, as Professor Eleftheriadis argues.
The Jewish presence in Evoia and especially Chalkis goes so far back that it is assumed that the first Jews arrived after 586 B.C. It was possibly the pirates who followed the Phoenicians as merchants, when the latter came to Greece and passed by Evoia on their way to Thebes. During the Hellenistic period the Jews were no doubt settled and organized in communities mainly in Chalkis, according to the authors G. Fteris, Papakyriakou, Philippopoulos and Metropolitan Bishop Themelis.
Travellers also testified on the Jewish presence and a Jewish community in Chalkis during the Byzantine period, during the Venetian domination (1205-1470) and during the Ottoman Occupation (1470-1833).
In 1159 the Spanish traveller Rabbi Benjamin Ben Yonah of Tudela visited the city and wrote in his itinerary that 200 Jews (some say 200 families) lived in Chalkis. He discovered that there was no anti-Semitism in Greece, the Jews of Chalkis had always lived within the fortress, they only spoke Greek and it was hard to distinguish them from the other inhabitants. They had even organized a settlement of their own with a Synagogue in the middle. He met with three Rabbis, Rabbi Elijah Valteri, Rabbi R. (maybe Raphael) Emmanuel and Rabbi R. Kalev, head of the settlement.
While Venetians and Lombardians inhabited Chalkis, at that time called negroponte, the Jewish Community flourished and its members were involved in business, wine export, industry; some were artisans, dyers and silk manufacturers.
Unfortunately, however, by the end of the Venetian domination, wars, famine and heavy taxation had impoverished the Community. Jews were still involved in trade, but had no civil rights, did not participate in the administration and were forced to act as executioners. The Turks had the same policy in store for them.
In 1470 the Fortress was seized by Mohammed the Conqueror. A terrible massacre followed. The Janissaries helped people escape in exchange of gold and many Jews fled to Thebes that had a very large Jewish community. As of that time, Chalkis, including the Jewish Community, went through a period of decline, hard exploitation, brutality and terror, in addition to being inflicted by a merciless plague.
The 1821 Revolution and the idea of the Revolution, matured in the land of Evoia. The Jews followed the fate of all other residents of the city.
G. Fousaras and G. Philippopoulos mention that two Jewish families, the COHENS and the KRISPIS became members of Filiki Etairia (the Society of Friends). These were great, powerful and highly educated families. A member of the Krispi family was Kriezotis' chieftain, who fought on the side of Theodoros Kolokotronis.
In 1840, when Evoia was part of the Greek state, the first urban chart of the Fortress was drawn. 455 real estate properties were listed, 51 of which belonged to Jews. The Community numbered 400 members.
In 1894 the Jewish Community had 52 families and 284 members, according to a document letter that the Community had sent to the American Jews asking for assistance. The reason for this appeal was the big destructive earthquake that demolished almost the entire city. During that period many Jews moved to other communities such as Volos and the Community was reduced to 170 members.
In 1940, in the Greek - Italian war one of the first Greek officers who fell heroically in battle was a Jew from Chalkis, Colonel Mordechai Frizis. We are one of the few communities that lost only 22 out of 327 members. We owe this to the protection we were given by our fellow citizens, the National Resistance Fighters and by the Metropolitan Bishop Grigorios, who hid sacred objects belonging to the Synagogue inside the Metropolitan Church.
JEWISH QUARTER - SYNAGOGUE - JEWISH LIFE
When the Jews arrived in Chalkis they settled in the Northeastern part of the Fortress (that was inhabited from 500 B.C. until 1890 when it was torn down), near Ano Pyli (Upper Gate) that was named Pyli ton Ioudaion (Gate of the Jews). Ano Pyli Street (today called Kotsou Street) ran through the Jewish quarter down to the crossroad between Papanastasiou Street and M. Frizi Street.
View of Chalkis. The arrow points at the spot where the
The Synagogue is on Kotsou Street. It is unknown when the first synagogue in Chalkis was constructed. In 1854, during the Holy Week a great fire destroyed the synagogue and in 1855 it was re-constructed in the same size with funds offered by the Duchess of Plaisance (Sophie de Marbois).
The Synagogue of Chalkis as of today
The old and the new cemeteries of Chalkis are located in the same area, in a space of 17,000 m2 (about 4 acres), on Messopion Street (which the Municipality of Chalkis has lately renamed Ellinon Evraion Martyron (Greek Jewish Martyrs') Street.
Jewish Cemetery, graves after the re-construction works
Between 1990-2000 about 600 old graves underwent restoration and conservation works. Through the tombstones, most of which belong to rabbis, one may discover that the Community had been a spiritual center, justifying the name it was given, 'little Tsfat' (a spiritual and Cabalistic center in Northern Israel). This title was also given to communities such as Thessaloniki and Patras.
From the findings in the Jewish Cemetery, the tombstone of Rabbi Maltis
The cemetery includes a hall for funeral services, a washroom, the guard's house, and an old building which was renovated and houses the findings of the cemetery, like a museum. This was originally the guard's house. Its construction was sponsored by Ferdinand Rothchild in 1897 when he visited Chalkis. In the Fall of 1999 the ceremony for the placement of the Mezuzah was held in the renovated building.
A Memorial in the memory of the victims of the Holocaust has been erected in the same area. The busts of the late Metropolitan Bishop Grigorios and Colonel Frizis stand on each side of it. The memorial and the busts were unveiled in June 2000 in a ceremony in which the Municipality of Chalkis, the Central Board of Jewish Communities in Greece and the Jewish Community of Chalkis participated. At this point we have to underline that one more bust of the War hero M. Frizis is erected on a square near the old bridge of Chalkis. In addition, a section of Siokou Street is called M. Frizis Street and a square opposite the Fire Brigade building bears the same name.
THE COMMUNITY TODAY
After the liberation, in 1945, many Jews left and settled in Athens, Israel and the United States. In spite of this, the Community was re-organized and functions normally. Unfortunately today it only has 66 members.
In Evia there are ten stone lighthouses:
1. LIGHTHOUSE VASILINA
2. LIGHTHOUSE PONTIKONISI
This lighthouse was manufactured in 1907. The altitude of the tower is 19 metres and the height of focal plane is 62 metres. Located in the little Pontikonisi isle NW of cape Artemisio. Luminescence with white light for reef "Leftheris" between Skiathos and Magnesia and with red on the reefs of Skiathos island.
3. LIGHTHOUSE AVLIDA
4. LIGHTHOUSE KAKOKEFALI
This lighthouse was manufactured in 1886. The altitude of tower is 12 metres and the height of focal plane is 21 metres. The lighthouse is located in cape Kakι kefali near Chalkida.
5. LIGHTHOUSE STROGILI (EVIA)
The Lichades Islands create an obstacle for ships off the northwestern tip of Evia Island at the confluence of the Gulf of Evvia and the Maliakos Gulf. Strongyli Lighthouse and its neighboring Argyronisos Lighthouse provide safe navigation through this tricky area.
The tower rises from a square single story dwelling and is surrounded by trees. Its fifth order Fresnel lens had red sectors to help ships stay in the channel and avoid a dangerous shoal 300 yards (247 meters) east of the island. In 2001 the antique lens were replaced by a 500mm Optical lens made by Pharos Marine. The white light is visible 12 miles (19 kilometers) and the red light is seen 9 miles (14.5 kilometers). The lighthouse is not open to the public and can only be reached only by private boat. "Strongyli" means round and legend has it that the islands' name is derived from the round head of King Lissas that was sank in the Gulf of Evia and only the top of his head remains visible.
6. LIGHTHOUSE ARGIRONISOS
This lighthouse was manufactured in 1899. The altitude of the tower is 7 metres and the height of the focal plane is 35 metres. Access to the lighthouse is accessible via boat from the village "Kanatadika".
7. LIGHTHOUSE LITHARI (SKYROS ISLAND)
This lighthouse was manufactured in 1894. The altitude of the tower is 12,5 metres and the height of focal plane is 85 metres. The lighthouse is located in cape Lithari on the island of Skyros.
8. LIGHTHOUSE ARAPIS CAVODORO
The lighthouse Nigger, is located on the homonymous rocky islet, which is half a mile Northeast of cape Kafirea or Cavodoro. The lighthouse has been placed in 1925 and has a height of 5 meters and the focal height is 34 meters. This is not a lighthouse, but a traffic light on the cape of Cavo Doro. Emits two white flashes every 15 seconds and the its scope is 10 nautical miles.
9. LIGHTHOUSE PRASUDA (KYMI)
Located on a tiny islet about 7 miles (11 kilometers) off the town of Kymi on the northeastern shore of Evia the conical tower rises from a square dwelling. Kymi is one of the oldest towns in Evia and though no records exist of an earlier lighthouse its probable that some sort of beacon had existed prior to 1897.
The lights was built in part to guide the weekly steamer from Piraeus to Lavrio onto Skyros. The light guides ships around a prominent cape on the northeastern coast of Evia. Located on a small island about 12 km (7.5 mi) northeast of Kymi. Accessible only by boat
10. LIGHTHOUSE MANDILI
This lighthouse was manufactured in 1925. The altitude of the tower is 10,6 metres and the height of the focal plane is 85 metres. The lighthouse is located on the isle of Mandili near Karystos.
Climbing and Hiking in Evia
Evia a crossroad of an extensive network marked with mild hiking paths. There are also several uncharted areas where steep wooded trails in beautiful plateaus and peaks exist with breathtaking views.
The mountains of Pixaria, Kandiliou, The Saint, Telethrio and Xirou in Northern Evia, the area of Dirfys, Olympus and Kotylaion in Central and Ochi in Southern Evia are an ideal choice for half or full-day excursion.
Hikers and mountain climbers will revel in the Michalis Nikolaou Mountanieering Refuge of Dirfy at an altitude of 1,100 meters, offering unparalleled views of both the Aegean and the Evian Gulf and it can accommodate at least fifty climbers.
In Karystou, there is also a smaller shelter with fewer available amenities named “Shelter Ochi”
Trails in Central Evia
♦ Steni Dirfy shelter ( trail course: 2.5 hours easy).
♦ Xerovouni Dirfys' shelter ( trail course: 2.5 hours, easy).
♦ Gorge of Stropones-Chiliadou ( trail course: 4 hours, easy).
♦ Lamari-Chiliadou ( trail course: 2 hours, easy).
♦ Shelter Dirfys - Gorge Statues ( trail course: 5.5 hours, less easy).
♦ Agali Gorge - Rachi of Glyfada ( trail course: 4 hours easy).
♦ Daphne-Melouna ( trail course: 2 hours easy).
♦ Evιa's Olympos ( trail course: 2.5 hours, easy)
♦ Ampoudiotissa-Skotini ( trail course: 3.5 hours, easy).
♦ Andronianoi-Metoxi ( trail course: 6 hours easy)
Trails in Northen Evia
♦ Agios Prokopios ( trail course: 6 hours, easy).
♦ Mnimeio Pixaria ( trail course: 6.5 hours, moderate).
♦ Vlachia Mt. Pixaria( trail course: 6 hours, moderate).
♦ Pili of Pixaria ( trail course: 2 hours easy).
♦ Troupa-Strougkitsa (trail course: 3.5 hours, moderate).
♦ Mount Kandili (Makisto) (trail course: 7.5 hours, moderate).
♦ Nilea Gorge (Nigger) (trail course: 2 hours easy).
♦ Drimona Falls - Mountain Xiron (trail course : 3.5 hours, easy).
♦ Xiron Mountain (trail course: 3 hours, easy).
♦ Mount Telethrion - Kastaniotissa - Semites (trail course: 4 hours, easy).
♦ Lichada - mountain Lichas (trail course: 2 hours, easy).
♦ Kastaniotissa - Semites (Telethrion) (trail course 4 hours, easy)
♦ Kourkouli-Xiros Mountain Top (trail course 3 hours, easy)
Trails in South Evia
♦ Petries - Watermills - Orifice (trail course: 2 hours, easy).
♦ Ruler Gorge in Styra (trail course: 2 hours, easy).
♦ Dragon House of Styra - Acropolis Armenia (trail course: 2.5 hours, easy).
♦ St Demetrios Gorge - Sarah Trail (trail course: 2.5 hours, easy).
♦ Demosaris Gorge (trail course: 4 hours, easy).
♦ Mili - Refuge - Dragon house - Top Ochi (trail course: 4 hours, easy).
♦ Archampolis Beach - Archampolis canyon (trail course: 1 hours, easy).
♦ Petrokanalo - Demosaris Gorge
♦ Petrokanalo - Anemopyla (mountains Kavodoro)
♦ Rouklia - Petrokanalo
♦ Mills - Ochi Shelter - top of Ochi - Petrokanalo
♦ Agios Dimitrios - Kalergis - Kallianou
♦ Agios Dimitrios - Top Boublia
♦ Trails coast Archampolis
♦ Environmental Information Center - Lala - Portes - Top of Ochi
♦ Environmental Information Center - Agia Triada - Castello Rosso - Mili
♦ Ano Aetos - Agios Georgios - aetopetra
♦ Platanistos - Elliniko - Potami beach
In Evia and in particular in Chalkida there is the Mountaineering Association of Chalkida, with a rich program of mountaineering sports, climbing and mountain biking excursions.
Tηλ.+ 30 2222125230
Mountaineering is climbing under summer conditions (with winter conditions, referred to as alpinism), on any mountain top, from steep slopes (cliffs) which necessarily applies to climbing techniques (small / large degree of difficulty) with auxiliary equipment. In Evia there are many areas where you can make free style climbing with many available schools.
In Evia there are many mountain climbing areas as:
- Steni located on Mt. Karaouli
- In Kamaria, "Kamari" is located south of Chalkida and within 1/2 an hour, near the homonymous village. It consists of three large volumes of rock
- In Dokos Chalkida
- Chiliadou in Eastern central Evia
For more information:
Tηλ.+ 30 2222125230