The second largest island after Crete, in Greek archipelagos and the third after Cyprus in the eastern Mediterranean. It is separated from the mainland of Greece with the Evian Gulf.

  Source:Goevia.com

 

 

 

Archaeological Museum of Eretria

The Archaeological Museum of Eretria located in Eretria in the Evian regional unit of Central Greece. The museum was established in 1960, and was enlarged during 1961 and 1962. It underwent further renovation and extension between 1987 and 1991 by the 11th Ephorate of Antiquities of the Greek Archaeological Service in collaboration with the Swiss School of Archaeology in Greece.

The museum, which is located adjacent to the archaeological site of Eretria, contains artifacts unearthed at Xeropolis, the cemetery of Skoumbri, Palaia Perivolia, and Toumba in Lefkandi, at Paliochora and Geraki hill in Amarynthos and at Eretria and Magoula. Many of its artifacts found in Eretria though are on display at the National Archaeological Museum in Athens and in the Louvre in Paris. Two rooms exhibit the important finds from Eretria as well as those from Lefkandi and Amarynthos.  Several scultpures and inscriptions are displayed in the adjacent gallery and in the garden.

(Tel.: + 30 2229062206)

 

Housed in a neoclassical building it was first time opened in 1960 to 1981, and was closed due to the damage caused by an earthquake, and reopened again in May 1991. The outer face of the building is divided by the ashlar, the polygonal base of the building. There pediment in the center of the facade. The building is tiled. The exhibits are dated from the Paleolithic to the Late Roman period from excavations in Evia.

 

The collections of the museum among others include: 

• Early findings from the settlement and cemetery of Manika

• Mycenaean pottery and figurines

• Geometric collection - ceramic and bronze figurines

• Honorary resolutions

• Roman votive sculptures from Chalkida and N. Lampsacus

• Collection of Classical and Hellenistic coins from Chalkis and Eretria

• Honorary decrees

Opening hours:
01 Jun - 31 Oct Tue-Sun, 0900-1600
01 Nov - 31 May Tue-Sun, 0800-1500

Built: 1902, Renovated: 1990

Tel.: +30 2221025131

Archaeological Museum Karystou

Housed in the western wing of the Yiokaleion Foundation building, (legacy of the benefactor Nikolaos Giokalas – built on Maximilianou Square in 1959).  The building also houses a library and a theatre hall.

The local archeological department organizes guided tours of the Archaeological Museum, while both the library and the theatre operate under the supervision of the municipality of Karystos.

 


The archaeological collections include:

·         Sculptures from the wider area of Karystos (Classical-Hellenistic-Roman era)

·         Archaeological finds from the site of the Dragon houses (Mount Ochi and Styra area)

·         Inscriptions from the wider area of Karystos

·         Clay figurines from different areas in Karystos.

Tel.: +30 22240 22472

Archaeological Museum Of Skyros

The two halls of the museum display exhibits that come from various archaeological sites on the 

island and date from the Protohelladic period (2800-1900 BC) to the Roman era.

 

The museum displays many collections:


Pottery dating back the Protohelladic era (2800-1900 BC) from the town of Skyros, the settlement of Palamari
Pottery from the Mycenaean period (1600-1100 BC) from various sites of the island
Proto-geometric pottery (11th-9th c. BC) from the coastal cemeteries  
Findings from the proto-geometric and geometric period (900-800 BC)
Findings of the Roman and Archaic period (5th-1st c. BC)
The museum hosts a remarkable collection of folk-art.

Tel.: + 30 2222091327

Folkloric Museums
 

Folklore Museum of Chalkida

Founded in 1981 by the Company Evian Studies and the Municipality of Halkida. Housed in three rooms remaining from the historic castle Negroponte Frankish or Egrimpoz Turks. It houses more than 1,200 exhibits, of valuable works of the hands of the people of Evia, objects of everyday work and belongings of our ancestors.

Exhibits 

• Weapons / Armour• Household items• Furniture• Clothing/Costumes• Books collection• Embroideries/ Woven fabrics• Tools• Icons• Pottery(Amphoras)

Periods of the exhibits 

• Classical period, 480-323 BC• Post-Byzantine period, 1453-1821• Hellenistic period, 323-31 BC• Modern and contemporary Greece, 1821-today

Tel: +30 2221021817

Folkloric Museum Psachnon

The three-storey building offers visitors a variety of objects which give insight to what life must have been like throughout the region during the past two centuries. The museum dislays Traditional costumes, housewares, farmers’ tools, antique furniture and an authentic wood oven are just some of the exhibits on display.


Tel: +30 2228024080

Folklore Museum of Kymi

The museumis internationally recognized and is cooperates with other universities, research centers, museums, libraries, with the International Council of Museums (ICOM), art galleries and individuals scientists to carry out research objectives.

It offers its guests multilingual informative guide. Has participated in exhibitions and television shows in Greece and abroad. Has significant publishing activity and is visited by many students at school organized visits, contributing significantly to the cultural tourism in the region.
The museum has a rich collection of pottery, woodwork, metalwork, folk paintings (works G.D 'Esposito, Sot. Chrysanthopoulos), stone carving and weaving / embroidery - Apparel. In the museum there is also a library with files and photographic laboratory.
In the garden of the museum there has been constructed circular outdoor theater with 250 seats, which have held many events such as theatrical performances, lectures, concerts of classical music and artistic Greek song and cinema from the Film Club's Association.
The Museum has documented its collection, which maintains scientifically. The multipurpose room is used for lectures, seminars, art exhibitions, educational programs for adults and students for uses necessary and complementary function of the museum, according to the perceptions of modern Museology. In the village Pyrgos Kimi's in the Mansion House of Chrysanthopoulos operates a new annex of the museum, with its collection of popular artist of the 19th century Sotiris Chrysanthopoulos. The collection contains photographs, murals, reliefs and a library consisting of old editions.

Tel: +30 222202201

Folklore Museum Faltaits Skyros

It was founded in1964 and is one of the first local Historical - Folkloric museums in Greece. Created with the aim of rescuing Skyrian heritage.
Housed in the old mansion house of "Faltaidon", whose roots are lost in Byzantium. The museum dominates on the northeastern edge of the island, built on the biggest tower of ancient Pelasgian walls of the island - the Paleopirgos, as the islanders name it. Loaded the legend and the history, the location, was once an ancient temple and had included the full traditional culture and history of the island from the post-Byzantine to modern times.
Tel: +30 2222091232    
www.faltaits.gr

Folkloric Museum Limnis

It is a vivid expression of a large part of the folk tradition this picturesque town in northern Evia. Housed in a two storey traditional building donated by Catherine Flokou, offspring of an important and strong naval family.
On the first floor displays the archaeological collection of Limni, including vases, coin collection, and architectural, funerary inscriptions of classical, Hellenistic and Roman period. The ground floor has the Historical Archive of Limni and elements of local folk tradition.
Tel+30 2227031335

Folklore Museum of Ag. Anna

In Agia Anna since 1981, the folklore museum with traditional costumes, jewelry, textiles, agricultural and other household tools and objects used in everyday life the residents. Recently, the museum moved to a better and more comfortable space and was enriched with more exhibits, a rich collection of traditional life.
Tel: +30 2227031335

Folklore Museum Amarynthos

The folklore museum belongs to the club of women of Amarynthos and includes exhibits and collections of traditional life (costumes farm and forage tools and everyday utensils, etc.)

Tel: +30 2228071388-51220

 

 

Folklore Museum Agios Ioannis Aliveriou


Recently founded, the folklore museum in Agios Ioannis exibits a vast colletion of objects from agricultural and livestock lifes of the residents. Displayed: the farmer, the shepherd and weaver, who revive through the utensils, tools and furniture from the hard life of the past.

Tel: +30 6934412044

Folkloric museum Kapsalis

A tasteful collection of folk art, representative of the tradition of the inhabitants of South Evia. In the museum exists collections of local costumes. It also includes the tradition and the culture and the history of the region Kapsalis.

Tel: +30 2224051202

 

 

 

Skyrian Home Andrea Gialouri

Includes a private collection of folkloric representation of the traditional Skyrian home. Climbing towards the Castle, on your way you will encounter the Skyrian House, donated by Maria and Andrea Gialouri. A traditional home, of actual size (in contrast to two other museums, where skyrian home is significantly larger than it was in reality), with all its furniture, household objects, the decoration.

 
Tel: +30 2222091206  +30 2222091929

Folklore Museum Lamaris

Recently established folkloric museum includes exhibits and collections of traditional life. This material account to more than 500 exhibits and are comprised of:

-Utensils and tools of the daily life of the villagers.
-Agricultural tools, tools from old domestic use, necessary and useful for daily life.
-Collection of old coins and notes dating back to 1802


Tel.: +30 6976184008

Karystian House (collection Deligiorgi)

The Karystian House, the old family mansion of Moschonas, centrally located.

Through the narrow streets of the city, in the on is the collection of Mr. HARILI Deligiorgi and his wife.

It exhbits local costumes, embroidery, Textiles, furniture, photographs, and agricultural utensils.

Tel. +30 2224022452, 6973 688707

 

Museums

Museum John Skarimbas in Halkida

Co-housed with the club ''Friends of John Skarimbas'' located at 3, Kakara str., The museum hosts the jackass stunts, painted himself and bought twenty years ago by the Prefectural Committee for Adult Education ( PCAE ), along with paintings, photographs and a library that includes books written by J. Skarimpas and other books written by others on J. Skarimbas. In the museum there are also personal belongings of John Skarimbas eyeglasses and manuscripts.

Tel: +30 2221087111  2221088368 

Fossil Mammals Museum of Kerasia

Inaugurated in September of 2006 in Kerassia Northern Evia and housed in the wealth of paleontological excavations in Kerasia. Excavations in the territory discovered fossils of mammals that lived in Evia more from six million years ago according to professors of the University Athens. These findings are properly maintained by the University of Athens, presented for the first time in public in an original manner. The collection of the museum includes exhibits of:

Fossils - mammal - invertebrate Fossils, Rocks, Archaeology.
Tel: +30 2227061115, 2227061220   www.kerasiamuseum.gr

 

Museum of natural history hunting club Istiaia

The Museum of Natural History Istiaia is currently installed in a private building of 630 sq.m, Its purpose is its contribution to the protection of forest wealth and general the natural environment, through scientific activities (exhibitions, lecture and other events) environmental character

The Hunting Club Istiaia founded the 1st September 1924 and officially began in 1927. Today, recognized union affiliated with the Ministry of Agricultural and belongs to the Hunting Federation of Central Greece. Exhibits a collection of 217 kinds of birds, stuffed mammals, birds, reptiles etc.

Tel: + 30 2226052224

War - History Museum Anastasiou Liaskou in Kontodespoti

The History and Military Museum was created in Kontodespoti village in the centre of Evia, with the initiative of Anastasio Liaskou former MP of Evia. The originality of this private collection not only Evian, and throughout Greece. Such artifacts found at the National War Museum and its annexes too. Among the exhibits are : Weapons that were used in all historical moments that Greece had military entanglements. Weapons of various armies of the world. Photographic war record and several other related items

Tel.: +30 2228071388-51220

Museum of Wine and folklore Georgiou & Chryssi Tzivani

Located in Ritsona Avlida and made with excellent traditional architectural design, which houses a tasting room a wine museum and Folklore. In the museum, visitors can admire the vast collection of rare items worldwide, traditional tools and manual mechanisms of which where used for 100 years to produce the wine, the oil, and the cottage industry.

Ritsona Avlida – Evia

Tel.: +30 2102533000, 2102581460-5, 6992582000    www.tzivanibiowines.gr

 

Archeological sites

  Sanctuary of Artemis at Aulis

It is located between Avlida and Chalkida. Aulis or “Avlida” as it’s known in Greek was where one of the most dramatic scenes throughout Homer’s Iliad took place. After killing a sacred deer of the Goddess Artemis, the leader of the Greek forces Agamemnon could not set sail for Troy due to a lack of wind. The space has revealed at Aulis is the place of worship of Artemis which is the temple of the goddess. Phase edge of the sanctuary lasted from the Classical to the Roman period.

The area was inhabited since Mycenaean times ( 16th-12th century BC.), The Homeric Aulis but believed that further north, in Glyfa near Halkida. The continuous use of space certifies finding portion arched building of the Geometric period ( 10th-8th century BC.) beneath the Temple of Artemis in the 5th century. B.C. At the same time made the Sacred Fountain located 8 meters east of the church and surrounded by precinct. In the Hellenistic period ( 330-30 BC ) added a vestibule to the temple and built a complex of laboratories and hostel south. In imperial times (30 BC - 330 AD ), the church repaired, while the number of offerings shows the bloom of worship. The temple was destroyed during the invasions of the Goths of Alaric in 396 AD Later, in the place of the church founded baths (thermae) .

Aulis was never a town and considered part of the province of Thebes until 387 BC. Since then belonged territorially to Tanagra. The Spartan king Agesilaus, as '' new '' Agamemnon, sacrificed at the shrine of Artemis Avlideias, before embarking to Asia in 397 BC . There is therefore continuous habitation from Mycenaean to Roman times. The Aulis managed to survive mainly due to the existence of the sanctuary of Artemis and ceramic workshops. Report the sanctuary of Artemis is Avlideias Strabo ( 9,2,8 ) and Pausanias ( 9,19,6 ff. ) .

 

Manika, North of Halkida Exo Panagitsa

This is an important prehistoric settlement and cemetery of the Early Bronze Age (3000-1900 BC ) which is located in a fertile and strategic point of the Evian Gulf , near Chalkida. It is undeniable that the settlement of Manika was an entire city though not as densely structured, after it was found that there were excavated and uncovered several areas. The heyday of the settlement must be that controlled the main sea route communication era , the Evian Gulf, while handled and processed, obsidian and especially metals, which ought and the greatest growth.  From J. Davis was caracterized as one of the largest settlements of the Bronze Age in Greece, but if one looks deeper, one finds that to date has not been found in other larger extent. Is also without disputing that the city had a urban plan, because the most places found with orientation of houses addressing NS or EW. This approach seems to have been influenced by natural axes, the coast and the ancient road that went along the direction N.S. The first traces of habitation was encountered since the Paleolithic period, but the first major settlement can be termed as hamlet took place around 3000 BC at the beginning of the Neolithic Period. This first center of town was the northern edge of the current in the sleeves. This first city would live for a millennium and as revealed by archaeological excavations was a well organized city with large blocks, roads and houses that were square or arched ground floor or first floor, and had also a sacred focus , wells and pebbled floors . In the course of other settlements developed around this seems to indicate the overall edge presented with permanent habitation and so acquires its first competitors.

The Hellenistic cemetery of Agios Stefanos.

 

A large cemetery from Hellenistic Chalkida has been unearthed along the ancient road that led to Eretria. It includes tombstones and ancient steps leading up to the top, towards the ancient Acropolis of Chalkida.

 

The Fountain of Arethusa at the southern entrance of Halkida, in Agios Stefanos.

 



 


The grave of John Skarimbas is located opposite the entrance of the Fortress Karababa.

 



 

Eretria

 

Eretria, «the city of rowers» (whose name originates from the verb Eretto, meaning   to row) is located on the lush plains southwest of Chalkida, opposite Oropos in Attica.  Eretria was once an important naval city of Greece, since the 8th century B.C., and had numerous colonies along the coasts of the Aegean, the islands, and Greater Greece.

Archaeological artefacts from the Mycenaean era demonstrate the  high  quality of life enjoyed by its residents, a fact further attested by the inclusion of its residents in Homer's  catalogue   of ships.

Eretria began to develop its urban character from the 8th century B.C. It took part in the Greek colonial effort, founding a number of colonies, and developed into an important commercial centre, with ties to the eastern Mediterranean.

The expansion of Eretria troubled Chalkida, and led the  two cities to the well-known war of Lilandio. Despite the negative outcome of the war, Eretria continued to flourish during the archaic period. In 494 B.C., it supported Militos in its revolt against the Persians, a move that led to its destruction four years later, in 490 B.C.

Notable residents  of Eretria  include  the  painter Filoksenos, who created  a painting of the battle  of lssos, the  tragic poet Achaios, and the  philosopher Menedimos, founder of the School of Eretria. The Romans destroyed the city, which was abandoned and slowly fell to ruin.

The Archaeological Museum of Eretria. 
   Notable among its exhibits are the sculptures from the temple of Dafniforos Apollo (the laurel bearer), and especially that of Thiseas and Antiopi.

The Ancient Theatre of Eretria.

• The Eretria Dome.

• The Macedonian Tomb of Eroton.

The temple of Dafniforos Apollo in Eretria.

The temple Isis of Eretria.

The House of Mosaics.

• The Baths of Limani, 3rd century B.C.

• Lower Gymnasium baths in the southeastern part of the city, 4th century B.C.

• Archaeological site north of the Museum: Western Gate early archaic period, Sanctuary of Ares,  2nd century B.C., Anaktoro 5th century B.C.,  Temple  of Dionysos 4th   century    B.C., Upper Gymnasium, 4th  century B.C., Thesmoforio (sanctuary   of Dimitra)  3rd century B.C.

• Macedonian type Tomb in Kotroni

• Early Christian Basilica in Agia Kyriaki, 3 Km SE of the cities.

 

Central Evia

Lefkanti is located between Chalkida and Eretria. Archaeological expeditions   in ancient Kseropoli  brought to light important information about the so-called Dark Years.

The Monument of Toumba, Lefkanti, is the largest monument from the Early Iron Age to be discovered in Greece.

In the settlement of Xeropolis have seen a successive building phases, of which the oldest dates back to the Early Bronze Age.

At Touba hill, findings of a vaulted building, this is about 47 m long and 10 m wide. This is the familiar Memorial bleach, which was constructed probably in the first half of the 10th century B.C. this is the most monumental structure of the Early Iron Age, which has been discovered in the world. The building had wooden outer colonnade. Inside, the main room, were found two burials hegemonic character, a man and a woman, accompanied by rich grave goods, some of which were imported from the East, and horse burials . This structure is interpreted as a house - ruler of a local government, which after his death turned into a memorial and was covered by mound.

The adjacent hills have uncovered the cemeteries of the town, whose research yielded significant number of burials (179 graves and 93 cremations). The cemeteries of the Early Iron Age yielded rich finds, gold jewelry and luxury goods from the East. Archaeological research has shown that the tombs belonged to a community with a high standard of living. The richest burials belonged to warriors buried with their weapons and valuables coming from the East. The guns were usually made of iron, as this new technology had reached the Aegean probably from Cyprus around 1000 BC.  Gold jewelry was placed in female burials of which there were missing earrings and rings. Among the imported objects held was a special place of vases of faience and copper.

In the region of Halkida in Anthidona lies the Tomb of Salganea.

The wetland of Psachna, otherwise, said, the Kolovrechtis, a coastal wetland created by a small river at the beginning of the valley looking at central Evia, which flows into the North Evian. Located 12 km north of Halkida, the Kolovrechtis Wetlands should be famed for the natural utopia it provides to hundreds of different plant and animal species.

Amarinthos the natural harbor in the southern Gulf of Evia inhabited throughout the prehistoric and classical times until the Roman period ( 3000 BC - 1st century AD. ).

The name of Amarinthos mentioned in Linear B tablets.

 

Points of interest in the surrounding area of Amarinthos are:

·   Paleochora, evidence of Neolithic human activity.

·   Macedonian tomb facade typousto way for Upper deeply.

·  Roman Baths of Aliveri. The ancient baths, discovered on site steam electric plants in the Karavos Aliveriou, an interesting monument of the late Roman period.

·  Mycenaean tomb at Katakalou. It is the best preserved Mycenaean tholos tomb in Evia. Located about two kilometers north of the village.

·  La Cuppa castle this small fortification built with large stone slabs sits at the entrance of the Manikiatis Gorge just above the small hamlet of Vrysi. Researchers have also discovered ruins at this site which date back to the Hellenistic period.

· Skoteini Thourrounion Cave. One of the most intriguing caves throughout Evia is the cave of Skoteini outside of the village of Thourrounia in the middle of central Evia dated to the Early Neolithic period. Near the cave was excavated Neolithic settlement and cemetery.

· Viglatouri Oxylithos. In the region of modern Kymi Viglatouri Oxylithos the hill, three kilometers from the sea, have uncovered the remains of ancient Kymi.

· Viglatouri - ancient Kimi

The ancient city has been discovered in Viglatouri Kimi archaeologist and excavator Effie Sapouna - Sakellaraki, which coincides with ancient Kymi that is probably the home of the Latin alphabet. Archaeological finds suggest that the idiotypes " chalcidicum ' alphabet, in which S is written as C, the D as D, the X as X , R to R and Y as U, extracted from Euboeans settlers in Italy later to become the Latin alphabet . 

Effie Sanouna - Sakellaraki had published 1984 article in the Archaeology newspaper , which claimed that indeed the ancient Greek city - Kymi was mentioned by ancient writers as the Italian metropolis of Kymi - despite the scientific controversy, as until then there had been no corresponding archaeological findings .

Description:

The archaeological site of Kymi located 3 km from the sea, on the hill of Viglatouri. This revealed an entire village of prehistoric and Geometric period with houses, temples, squares, streets and tombs. The ruins that are visible cover the slopes of the hill, belonging mainly to the settlement of the Geometric period, whose scope is not yet seen as a whole.

Has revealed rectangular and arched buildings with paved roads, constructed of small stones, pebbles, pressed shells and a small section of the wall at the foot of the hill. In the central nucleus of the settlement was square and an oval stone building, sanctuary , found looted and given rich pottery , which dates back dated to the mid-8th century B.C. The arch was the first that came to light during the excavations of 1984. This building can be interpreted as a shrine - memorial, according to the opinion of the archaeologist Effie Sapouna - Sakellaraki. Corresponding examples of oval buildings from this period are known from Euboea ( in Lefkanti where they celebrate religious festivals in honor of the dead ), but outside of Evia, Smyrna and lift. The hypothesis for the function of the building is strengthened by the existence of the adjacent paved area, which was founded on Protogeometric graves. To the east of free paved area revealed one Rockrose many animal bones, which was probably a kind of grid, where the sacrifices were made. The shape of the altar is known in the East but also in the Cyclades. The sanctuary, which according to the pottery found there, flourished from the mid-8th century. B.C. and destroyed around 700 BC is considered to have served as a place of worship nobles, who traveled and lost away from home.

Beneath the ruins of geometric settlement preserved remains a significantly older residential phase, arriving to the. From the settlement of the prehistoric era buildings stand out with craft facilities ( kilns in the Middle Helladic period) and the so-called " mansion " of the Mycenaean period, under the later monument .

Kastri Potamias. The ruin of an important settlement of the Classical and Hellenistic period lies on the Kastri hill, north of the village Potamia, in Evia. Surface finds from the southern slopes of the hill indicate that the site was inhabited from the Neolithic period (fourth millennium BC) and onwards.

 

Archampolis in Kafirea, between the villages Thymi and Evaggelismos is the ravine Charchampolis or Archampolis gorge, an impressive but rugged landscape. The archaeological site of the ruins Archampolis organized the ensemble, which includes houses, workshops metallurgy, roads and fortifications. The ancient remains have been found in various locations in the nearby ravine or Charchampolis or Archampolis in Kafirea.

The Castle of Fylagra Four kilometres north of the village of Giannitsi lay the ruins of this castle which offers its visitors incredible views over the plains below as well as the Aegean to the east.,

 In Styra there is an interesting hiking trail that leads to the Ancient Quarries Stone Styria. At the top of the hill overlooks Styra is visited the shambles Cyclopean Wall, where the Megalithic Portal Armenia. 

 

Dragon Houses (Drakospita)

 

Widely known ancient monuments in Karystia are the Drakospita. They are a group of twenty monumental stone constructions, mostly square or rectangular.  The best preserved dragon houses are on the top of Mount Ochi a complex of three Drakospita in place Palli - Lakka in Styra. Other Drakospita identified in the mountainous areas around Styra  (positions Limiko , Ilkizes , Kourthea , amines ) , but lower in Niborio ( Tower Niborio ) in position vigkla in Poplar Nea Styra and elsewhere. The building is a typical Niborio Hellenistic tower and associated with adjacent quarries. Two Drakospita have also been identified in Central Evia, in term and near Dirfys Vatontas New Artakis.

The dragon houses of Evia then, some of which are still in excellent condition, are human constructions, the products of people who lived on the island before the 7th century B.C. and used them either as temples or as their house.

Common features are the supervisory position in which they were built, the construction of megalithic masonry details and entry and especially the way their housing in ekforic system: big heavy slate layers converge on two opposite walls. The plates each layer protrudes slightly more from the immediately below, so as to achieve the creation of a gable roof. The dimensions of drakospita ranging from about 5 to 13 m

The locals call Dragan or Dragko referred entirely to the way the structure with grayish limestone, usually of large dimensions, built with courage and knowledge.

 

Dystos In imposing, rocky and steep conical hill castle which dominates the valley near Lake Dystos and is established in antiquity the homonym settlement. The archaeological site Dystos still dominates the imposing walls of the ancient city. In the eastern part of the wall dominates the unique gate flanked by two towers, typical sample fortification technique of classical times.

The Venetian Tower Koutoumoula A well -preserved medieval tower in a prominent spot outside the village of Koutoumoula. Travellers have the opportunity to see one of the best preserved Venetian towers throughout the country.

 

North Evia

Artemis Proseoa sanctuary. One of the most important sanctuaries of Evia, which is related to the famous naval battle between the Greeks and the Persians in 480 BC, is located on the northern tip of Euboea, opposite Mount Pelion on the road leading from the villages Istiaia Artemisi and Halkida. An inscription is found in the temple that dates back to the 4th or 3rd century. B.C. refers to the pyrrhic dance. The goddess Artemis named Agrotera honor of the Pyrrhic dance. It's possible the dance to be performed by young people in the region to commemorate the battle and thus worship the goddess.

 

Taurus Oreos  Bull of Oreoi

Amarble figure,  larger than life statue of a bull and measuring (length: 3.28 m., preserved height: 1.30 m.) belonging to a funerary monument of the 4th century B.C. The animal is represented standing, with head bent, in an attacking position. The lower part of the legs, below the knees, and the horns are missing. The statue was raised from the sea in the harbour of Oreoi, in 1965.

 

 

The Archaeological Collection of Aedipso. Housed in the hydrotherapy centre of the Greek National Tourism Organisation the visitor has the opportunity to gaze at an archaeological collection comprising finds from the excavations that took place in the area. Pottery, coins, inscribed pedestals of statues and reliefs derived from rescue excavations in the city. The exhibits are mostly related to the spa during the Hellenistic and Roman period.

·         Aidipsos thermal springs

·         Roman Valaneiastin beach Gialtra.

·         The ruins of the ancient citadelOreos ( visible parts of the wall ) .

·         Byzantine and medieval castle of Oreoi

·         Tower Drosini Gouves.

·         Ancient Fortification Kirinthos.

 

Archaeological sites in Skyros

·The ancient Acropolis, located at the top of the mountain country. During Byzantine times turned into Castle, where there are even ancient walls and ruins of Byzantine and Venetian fortifications.

·Mooring Skyros. The settlement at Mooring, the northeastern part of the island, dateble between the 3rd and 2nd millennium BC It is walled with a clear development plan, roads and pipelines and presents important elements organized habitation ovens, hotplates, benches etc.

·On the coast of the village have found the ruins of an ancient harbor and the village and the surrounding area found many stone, bone and metal tools and utensils and vessels exposed in the Archaeological Museum of Skyros.

·Shops of Skyros. Large dimensions cemetery cist graves of the Early Iron Age (1000-600 BC) .

In and found just south chamber tombs cut into the rock, the Mycenaean period (1600-1100 BC), while in the area there are graves of the EH period (3rd millennium BC ).